If the amount of money consumers spend on hair care products annually is any indication, most people are concerned about the appearance of their hair and strive to attain beautiful, healthy and stylish locks. In fact, most will go to any lengths to achieve their desired look. From professional salon treatments to over-the-counter serums, hair care is a big business.
The only problem is that while many people are buying the correct products for their hair, they forget to follow basic care regimens that will guarantee the health and beauty of their tresses. Additionally, many are also causing needless damage to their hair by participating in unhealthy hair care behavior.
So, what should you do to make sure that your locks stay healthy, shiny and strong? To avoid all disasters, follow these 10 absolute don'ts of great hair care.
Hair care don'ts
1. Avoid unprofessional and over-the-counter products whenever you can. Many of these only offer false hopes and promises.
2. Do not cut your own bangs. Leave all of your cutting needs, even bangs, to the professionals.
3. Avoid excessive sun, chlorine and salt water during the summer months. Excessive exposure can cause severe damage that is irreversible even if you use the best products.
4. Do not use clarifying hair products on your tresses more than one time per week. They can strip hair of moisture and essential oils.
5. Do not visit a salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.